Exclusive MARVEL'S AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. Storyboards and Interview by Warren Drummond

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. storyboards by Warren Drummond
Check out Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. storyboards by Warren Drummond!

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. by Joss Whedon has been highly controversial show. But this week the ratings for the show, which were on a minor slide, went up to 9.89 million viewers showing the television show is finding it's audience.

Back in August, Joss Whedon described Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. as "a very deliberate deconstruction...to star the person who mattered the least." He added, "There’s a world of superheroes and superstars, they’re celebrities, and that’s a complicated world - particularly complicated for people who don’t have the superpowers, the disenfranchised." Along the way we have insane action and cutting-edge special effects that are making the show one of the best on television. One of the artists working to bring Joss Whedon's vision to life is storyboard artist Warren Drummond and he told me what it's like to work on the latest show by Marvel. He also kindly sent me some exclusive storyboards to share with you.

Warren Drummond is a professional storyboard artist who's worked on blockbuster movies like Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011), The Amazing Spider-Man (2012) and X-Men: First Class (2011). He describes his job as seeing in pictures and then executing "the image my mind has captured or created on to paper and perhaps later into a computer."

Check out the rest of the images after the jump (click to enlarge).

These boards are from the opening of the Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. episode "The Asset."









Maurice Mitchell: Thanks for taking time to do this interview Warren! So, you're one of the storyboard artists for Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Did you work on the pilot, or the series?
Warren Drummond: I have only worked on the series episodes after the pilot. I did get a chance to visit the set once during shooting of the pilot. Joss Whedon didn't use boards.

MM: I guess Whedon  has it all in his head. What's it like working on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.?
WD: It's a comic book geek's dream come true. The atmosphere is great because I don't see egos when I work with the crew. That comes from the top down from the producers, to the various episode directors, to the actors. I've been into Marvel Comics since I was a kid, so...COME ON!! I've been blessed to work on The Amazing Spider-Man, and got a few days on X-Men: First Class, but this is my first project that comes directly from Marvel Entertainment. I also love talking to the people in the office, who are equally great. As far as the storyboards, I'm doing action and science fiction!

If I actually get to draw Nick Fury sometime (he already cameo'd) I don't know what I would do. One of the directors is a friend I have worked with on several occasions, so it was fun to reunite.

MM: You've worked on many films, how is it different working on storyboards for television? Is there a faster pace or challenge that a television schedule has?
WD: Television has a finite time to do a limited amount of work. I can't finesse things. I also work with a new director every episode I do until they start bringing people back. I have to prove myself all over, which is fine. On features, you may have time to work out the kinks, but even then you can't dawdle. My friends who work on the Marvel movies are under the gun all the time and have done all nighters.

Storyboards aren't comic books. There are no inkers. They're meant to get the information along and to put the director, stunts, camera, FX and the crew on the same page.

MM: There are some terrific action scenes in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.? Which was the most memorable scene to work on and why?
WD: There are a few coming up from episodes that have been shot, but not aired. The best is yet to come.

MM: What's coming next from you Warren?
WD: I have some boards in the recent book Star Wars Storyboards: The Prequel Trilogy by J.W. Rinzler, who has done terrific "Making Of" books of the original Star Wars trilogy and other Lucas films. I have a Jango Fett on the cover from my brief stint on Attack of the Clones.

See more of Warren Drummond's work at www.warrendrummond.com

Click on the links if you want to see more of Warren Drummond's work and Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. on my blog.

What do you think of the storyboards and interview? If you've seen Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. what did you think?


Official Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Series Synopsis
Clark Gregg reprises his role of Agent Phil Coulson from Marvel’s feature films, as he assembles a small, highly select group of Agents from the worldwide law-enforcement organization known as S.H.I.E.L.D. Together they investigate the new, the strange, and the unknown across the globe, protecting the ordinary from the extraordinary. Coulson's team consists of Agent Grant Ward (Brett Dalton), highly trained in combat and espionage; Agent Melinda May (Ming-Na Wen), expert pilot and martial artist; Agent Leo Fitz (Iain De Caestecker), brilliant engineer; and Agent Jemma Simmons (Elizabeth Henstridge), genius bio-chemist. Joining them on their journey into mystery is new recruit and computer hacker, Skye (Chloe Bennet). Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Marvel’s first television series, is from executive producers Joss Whedon (Marvel's The Avengers, Buffy the Vampire Slayer), Jed Whedon & Maurissa Tancharoen, who co-wrote the pilot (Dollhouse, Dr.Horrible's Sing-Along Blog). Jeffrey Bell (Angel, Alias) and Jeph Loeb (Smallville, Lost, Heroes) also serve as executive producers. Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is produced by ABC Studios and Marvel Television.
Starring: Clark Gregg, Ming-Na Wen, Brett Dalton, Chloe Bennet, Iain De Caestecker, Elizabeth Henstridge
Created by Joss Whedon, Jed Whedon, Maurissa Tancharoen
Cinematography by David Boyd
Series airdate: September 24, 2013
Official Website: http://www.agentsofshield.com
© Copyright ABC Studios, Marvel Television, Mutant Enemy. All rights reserved


Comments

  1. I bet working on the show is a comic book addict's dream. Never thought about the challenges of working with a new director every week. It probably keeps things fresh though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex, if I ever get to draw a super hero on the show, I may pass out!! Yes, GEEK DREAM!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment